- Preparation, negotiation and review of purchase and sale contracts for vessels
- Obtaining the necessary searches in Canada and the United States to verify title to vessels
- Applying for a pleasure craft licence with Transport Canada
- Registering a vessel with Ship’s Registry
- Preparing and registering marine mortgages with Ship’s Registry
- Coordinating the calculation and payment of necessary duties and taxes with Canada Customs
Sidney is the gateway to the Gulf Islands and serves as the hub of sailing and power-boating activities around Southern Vancouver Island. Our lawyers provide advice and assistance with the purchase, financing and sale of all types of vessels.
We prepare the documentation required to obtain a pleasure craft licence with Transport Canada. We also work with clients to register their vessel and, if applicable, marine mortgage, with Ship’s Registry.
We assist with the importation of vessels from the United States, including the necessary documentation for closing out the US registry, paying duties and taxes on the importation of a vessel into Canada and subsequently registering the vessel in Canada.